Over the past year, I’ve been sharing the topics that have cropped up in my life during the week. They’re current. They’re real. And this week, on more than just a handful of occasions, the topic that’s THE key ingredient for great leaders has shown up – over and over and over again.
From research noted at some of the greatest international companies to personal contacts with clients, the thing that predicts your success is your willingness to grow yourself combined with your drive to grow the people in your organization (business, family, or community).
So in this week’s Wednesdays With Wayne, I ask this question:
What do you get when…
What do you get when you invest in your learning?
- You learn more (obviously). And a mind, once expanded cannot go back to the way it once was.
- You push others to learn and to live up to your new level of operating.
- You get more done! True! Taking time out to invest in yourself makes you better at making decisions. It gives you a perspective you didn’t have.
- By modeling your new way of thinking, you encourage others to take new approaches to their work.
- You kill the “we’ve always done it this way” kind of thinking. If you’re doing things the way you’ve always done them, you’ve begun your own and your organization’s decline.
You can infer that the opposite is true (it is). That last bullet point is all it takes. Continue to do things – or to think in ways – that you’ve always done and you’re out of date. The world has changed even while you’re reading this.
That’s both scary AND exciting. By opening to growth, you’re demonstrating the willingness to get things done with excellence.
And there’s a great quote from Socrates that notes that it’s not as important to fight the old as it is to build the new. We know that from recent research in neuroscience, too.
Focusing on learning and building lays new pathways for better thinking and experiencing the new together builds bonds for better relationships.
So what do you get when you invest in yourself?
Simply put, you get a better you.
You get a better team.
You get a better life full of daily rewards.
Investment and commitment to yourself and your team (or family) pays significant rewards.
Take a minute and consider how you will grow your own Success And Significance in the near future.
What are you learning?
What are your mentors reading or studying?
What do you value that might move others?
These are three questions worthy of consideration for yourself.
Then, pose them to the people on your team.
Let me know, too. I’m studying, learning, and growing. By posting a reply, you’ll help others think about where they might focus, too!
Until next time – keep learning and growing and… Keep Making Your Magic™!!!
~ Dr P ~